President Joseph F. Smith said that seeking “to do well those things which God ordained to be the common lot of all man-kind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or a successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a successful statesman.”
This is one of my favorite quotes because it reminds me that there is nobility in the small, simple acts of life. There is a part of me that wants to be bold, brave and make an impact on the world. I just have to remember that often that impact is felt by the simple and not the grand gestures. The people that I most admire are the ones that lived quiet lives filled with love and service- grandparents, friends, parents etc.
I was thinking about some of the small activities that give me great joy. I’d love for all of you to share some of your favorites as well. These are in no particular order:
1. Reading a good book
2. Lazy conversations with friends and family- phone is great but in person even better.
3. A funny joke or story shared with a friend
4. Comics- Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert and Peanuts are my favorite
5. Hugs from my nieces/nephew and siblings.
6. Morning scriptures and prayer
7. The mountains when they are clear and beautiful/The Ocean
8. The satisfaction of completing a task or job
9. Dinner/lunch with friends
10. Watching a good movie
11. Book clubs
12. NPR- especially Car Talk, Wait Wait and This American Life
14. The comfort and security of being around loved ones
15. Fresh cut flowers- lilis and orchids are my favorite
16. Great music of all kinds
17. Cooking for myself or others
18. Singing particularly with my voice lessons
19. Shopping and finding a bargain
20. Finding the perfect gift for a friend or family member