Thanksgiving is here and that means it is time to trot out my annual ‘Things I am Thankful For List’. Each year since starting this blog I have come up with 25 items I am thankful for. This might sound like an easy task but my first list was frustratingly broad with such items as ‘my family’ only taking up one item. I wish I had been more specific knowing there would be years of gratitude to come. That said- it is probably good to dig a little deeper for my list each year. Heaven knows I’m so blessed the list should be unending! Its interesting to look at previous lists to see how my life has changed. For instance, last year I certainly wasn’t thankful for my gym or a trainer! My cousin Anne has done tremendous list of 1,000 things she is grateful for. I don’t know how I could come up with that many!
While this year has been a great one for change there are some things that will never change. I will always be grateful for my testimony of Jesus Christ and the Restored Gospel. I will always be grateful for modern scripture, forever families and temple covenants. If I did repeats those items would make my list every time! I know that Jesus is the Christ and that he died for my sins. I know this from personal prayer and introspection. He loves me and wants me to be happy. Nothing inspires me more. There is nothing I am more grateful for.
Thank you to all of you for all the love and support I have received on this blog, on facebook and in person. This health journey has already been tremendously difficult and I could not have gotten through without each one of you. God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving!
25 things I am grateful for
1. Prayer- Heavenly Father is always there when I need someone. Given I live alone there could be lonely hours but I do not feel alone with His presence in my life.
2. My Gym- Today I went to a gym here in El Dorado Hills and it made me grateful for my awesome gym. I love the spa environment, the multitude of machines, the trainers whenever you need them and the POOL! I could not have lost 35 lbs without it. Funny how you find just the right thing, just when you need it!
3. My trainer- Michelle has been great. The perfect trainer for me. She pushes me with new workouts and difficult routines; however, she doesn’t yell or demean me. I am not the kind of person who would do well with a biggest loser type trainer. She is just what I need.
4. My IPOD- My IPOD is currently only playing music out of one headset (no matter the headset); nevertheless, I use it every single day and love it. I can’t imagine my life without music constantly adding the Rachel soundtrack!
5. Healthy Food that Tastes Good- I’m sorry but sometimes healthy food can be boring and tasteless, which makes me especially grateful when I find recipe that has some flavor!
6. Swimming– I am grateful for one sport/fitness activity that I actually enjoy and am marginally good at. Its nice to have a fitness reward that is great for my body and fun.
7. Stefanie and Emily being closer. My 2 best friends Stefanie and Emily moved to Utah this year. It has been such a blessing to have both close by- a tender mercy.
8. BYU- As great as my mission was BYU was the most trans-formative time of my life. It gave me a voice I’d never been able to express before. It is holy grounds to me.
9. Holidays- Even though birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving all provide bountiful opportunities to mess up my diet holidays are so great. They give me something to look forward to when work gets drab.
10. Bruce and Tracy Grist- Bruce and Tracy are our new maintenance supervisors and are lifesavers. They get things done without my nagging. They like being around me and working with me. They let me go on vacation and took care of everything. May not sound like much but they are my heroes!
11. Visiting the Triplets- My cousin Kate had triplets in August and I get to visit them when I go to work in Syracuse on Friday. It is so much fun and they are adorable!
12. Family Reunions- Sometimes I moan and groan about particular reunions but it is always great to see my cousins and grandparents. I am lucky to be close to them on both sides.
13. Ben gay lotion- My Dad keeps telling me it doesn’t work but I don’t care. To me it feels great! While making my apartment smell like peppermint it has gotten me through many a sore night.
14. Good, Kind Doctors- After the incident with the crazy doctor I realized once again how great a good doctor can be. Thank you to all the medical professionals who treat patients with kindness and provide accurate medical diagnosis.
15. Photography- I am not as into photography as the rest of my family but I still cant imagine life without it. How sad would it be to not have life’s moments documented?
16. Broadway Musicals- I can’t think of much I would rather do then see a Broadway musical live. It doesn’t even have to be in New York. Some of the shows locally are great. I am going to Christmas Carol at Hale Center Theater Orem on Dec 11th.
17. BBC Miniseries- one of the reasons I love Netflix is it allows me to continually check out various BBC miniseries. Everyone knows I love Elizabeth Gaskell (see #18) but there have also been great versions of Jane Eyre, Emma, Little Dorrit, Wuthering Heights, and Persuasion recently.
18. Elizabeth Gaskell– I can read her books (and have read them) over and over again. I LOVE all of them. The last three years I have read North and South at least 3 times. I LOVE IT!!! If you haven’t read it don’t be scared by the length. It is so good.
19. Poetry– Any reader of this blog knows I love poetry. I find it amazing how a perfect sentence can encapsulate an emotion, a world. I wish I had more talent in writing but I love reading it.
20. Book Club. I mentioned book clubs on my first list but it was never a separate item. After about 4 months of failures finally this year I have established my own book club. I love it! We have read a variety of books and the conversation is always good. Thanks to all who come!
21. Julia Child– This year I have come to idolize Julia Child. Her book My Life in France is one of my all-time favorites. I LOVE IT! She not only revolutionized home cooking but had the guts to change her life at 40. She had the courage to be her best self.
22. Free Elections- As this radical election shows the American people have the power to change their democracy. I am grateful to have that say and to be able to vote. Never missed an election since I could vote at 18.
23. Computers and High Speed Internet- Last year I went on a cruise where it was very expensive to use our computers or the internet. That trip aside, I can not think of another day in the last 2 years that I have gone without using the computer or fast internet. I do everything on it- even my shopping.
24. Art- I love beautiful art from all periods. Throughout my apartment I have paintings by Van Gogh, Minerva Teichert and other artists. I wish I had some artistic talent but I appreciate those that do!
25. Christmas Tree– Over the years I have developed some of my own unique Christmas traditions including going to the Messiah Sing-in and seeing a Christmas Carol at Hale Theater (and watching every other version I can). Another tradition I have is my Christmas tree. It is called a memory tree and it is full of ornaments that either come from a meaningful place or symbolize an event of my life. I also have little silver picture frames that have recent photos of my family. I love it! (this year it is a bit tricky to figure out where to put it but I will find a way!
Thanks again to all of you. I love you! I know that 2011 will give even more to grateful and I can’t wait to see what it offers.