This week for the Friday 5 we were asked to pick a decade and give 5 of our favorite songs from that decade. I thought about doing a more obscure decade because I had previously done the 50’s which was ton of fun but nothing was really speaking to me so 80s it is. I have actually done the 80s once before but as it is a favorite decade of mine I certainly have 10+ songs that I love from that decade.
So here are the 5 I came up with. I think you will agree with me these are 5 iconic songs from the 80s:
Here’s a review of the 5 songs I picked:
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World- Tears for Fears: This song has such a great hook and draws you into the song. It’s very catchy. I feel like this song isn’t talked about in the great 80’s songs and I’m not sure why.
- I Want You to Want Me- Cheap Trick: I guess this song was technically released in 1978. Oops! Still it feels like an 80s song. It’s the kind of song that is great when driving with friends.
- Rio- Duran Duran: I got introduced to Duran Duran fairly recently and I love their songs! They have the feel of the era but creative lyrics and some unusual songs. This is one of their more mainstream songs but it is catchy and fun to listen to
- Just What I Needed: The Cars: Nothing seems more like the 80s than The Cars. They are so great at writing catchy hooks that you can’t help but hum along to.
- Once in a Lifetime- Talking Heads: A bit of an experimental group but they have some mainstream songs as well. It was hard to get a good 25 second clip from one of their songs because they tend to ramble.