This week for the musical series I do on my youtube channel I had a lot of fun. It may be my favorite week yet. The theme was ‘what are 5 favorite deep cut or hidden gem songs by your favorite artists?’. I think I enjoyed this week so much because it helped reintroduce me to songs I had forgotten about. The idea is whenever an album is a bit hit there are always those songs that don’t get a single release and aren’t well known but are still great songs. Here are the 5 songs that I picked and why:
- Billy Joel- Seen the Lights Out on Broadway. This song is from his Turnstiles album which is probably best known for New York State of Mind but I love this unique power ballad. Billy Joel wrote the song about New York City as it was falling apart at that time and close to default and disaster.
- Richard Marx- Turn Off the Night- This song is from his Beautiful Goodbye album which isn’t that popular but the reason I picked it is because he sang it at a concert I attended just after he wrote it. He described the emotions he had just gone through and asked us if we would like to hear the song and we cheered. It felt like a real authentic moment. After on twitter I told him how meaningful it was and he said he was blown away by it. To me that is a true deep cut. Sure his other songs may be more famous but this is one I got to see why it meant so much.
- Beatles- Wait. This song is from the Rubber Soul album which is so great a song as good as Wait gets forgotten. I’m Looking Through You or Nowhere Man are probably the most popular off of the album but listen to the entire thing. It’s fantastic.
- Beach Boys- I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times. Just like Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, is one of the greatest albums ever released. The harmonies are perfect and every song is carefully written and beautiful. Some of the biggest hits are Wouldn’t it Be Nice or God Only Knows, but I also love I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times because I think we all feel that from time to time.
- Paul Simon- Silent Eyes. This song is from Still Crazy After All These Years. Quiet songs are always more likely to be forgotten than the more poppy songs, but Silent Eyes is a beautiful song. It’s a song about faith, hope and grief.
What are some deep cuts of popular artists that you like? What do you think of my 5 picks? I would love to hear.
I’m getting really close to 1,000 subscribers on my channel and would love to cross that threshold so I’d love if you subscribe. Thanks tons!