The last few days I’ve had a number of people ask me for reading suggestions while they travel. so I thought I’d put together a list of great summer reads.
What do I consider a good summer read? (just my definition so you may pick totally differently than me but it’s my blog!)
A great summer book is light, witty, easy to relate too and little to no fantasy worlds to digest. No dystopias or vampires or warewolfs. Those can be enjoyed (or not enjoyed) more in the winter where you can cozy up to a fire and an adventure.
Summer books should make you feel good and be something you could read in spurts and not feel bad. There are so many distractions in the summer which makes this last aspect key.
So here’s my list: (in no particular order)
1. A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle
2. Undomestic Goddess by Sophi Kinsella (mild language warning)
3. Red China Blues by Jan Wong
4. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
5. Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
6. I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron
7. Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
8. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
9. The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio by Terry Ryan
10. Gift from the Sea by Anne Marrow Lindbergh
11. From Mama’s Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes
12. My Life in France by Julia Child
13. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
14. Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
15. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
16. A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
17. The Egg and I by Betty McDonald
18. Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart
19. Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith (actually any AMS book would be great)
20. Jane Austen books- I know classics to some aren’t light but I literally read them every summer so they have to go on the list!
There are many more I could pick and if you have particular interests or are going some place unique let me know and I will give some recommendations. Enjoy your travel and your reading!
What do you like to read in the summer? I’d love to hear your lists