Since I just did a post on pain I figured I need to lighten things up a bit. I do after all smile a lot.
So here are some things that make me happy:
1. Fresh Cut Flowers- I wish I could get them every day or even just go into a little flower shop and stare at them, smelling them and feeling of their cheerfulness. One of the things I love about New York is the flower shops. I wish I could find a place like that in Draper. They have one flower store but it is pretty sterile. I love fresh flowers and wish I didn’t have to buy them for myself all the time. Someday!
2. Hallmark Original Movies- In fact I am watching one right now and loving it. It is called Remember Sunday about a man who has no short term memory because of an aneurism. He falls in love but is afraid to tell the girl he can’t remember her. So sweet. Hollywood romantic comedies/dramadies have gotten so crass and crude. I love the old fashioned sensibility of Hallmark movies.
3. Homemade Jams- Anything preserved by a loved one is just so wonderful. I got the cutest stickers for my jam and I’ve felt so good whenever I can give a jar to a friend. It’s just so personal and delicious. Makes me smile! If any of you preserve anything please share and I am dying to learn how to make pickles, or to can my own marinara sauce.
4. An unexpected day off. I don’t know of much better than when the boss says ‘take an hour off early’ or ‘take the day off’. Even though I work from home I still don’t get as much time off work as I would like and a free day is so wonderful.
5. Necklaces- I love necklaces. Here are some of my favorites.
6. I love when I’m sitting in church and a toddler eyes me and I can get him to smile and giggle all the way across a room.
7. The feeling of diving into water and being surrounded by liquid
8. Cooking when I’m either really tired or full of free time. Most memorable example in this blog:
9. Comments on my blog!! They really do make me smile
10. A delicious book that you can’t put down. Just read Guernsey Literary Potato Pie Society and LOVED IT! I have read it once before but we were reading it for book club but it engrossed me even more this time. I didn’t want to put id down!
11. Entertaining and making everything beautiful. This is especially nice when I can make the people I love happy and they come to the party.
12. This painting of Jesus
13. Spending 2 hours talking with someone and then looking at your watch/phone and thinking ‘wow we’ve been talking this long’. (Just happened last night! Actually it happened twice yesterday)
14. Staying in a hotel and getting room service
15. Farmers Markets and Bountiful Baskets
16. Teaching others how to cook, swim, about politics, books. Whatever!
17. Winder Dairy milk delivered in bottles to my door.
18. Calls from my nieces.
19. My bedroom
20. The Mindy Project. Yes, it’s hilarious
21. I love ‘a-month clubs’. Right now I am in a cookie of the month club and it is pretty awesome. I love not knowing what cookie is coming and will arrive in my doorstep. I would totally be in more if they weren’t so expensive!
21. This makes me smile (along with tarts, candies, cookies and just about anything else that is delicious)
Ok. I could go on for a while. There are a lot of things that make me smile. My life is pretty much 70% smiles, 10% tears, 10% pondering and 10% anxiety. All in all I’d say I have it pretty good. Wouldn’t you agree?