Tomorrow I am teaching a Sunday School lesson on Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. It is a challenging lesson because both books are collections of inspirational quotes that jump from one topic to another. Reportedly written by Solomon the “words of wisdom” cover everything from marriage to overcoming grief. While reading I couldn’t help but think of my own love for poetry and inspirational quotes. I’m often quoting poetry on this blog, and I have 2 inspiration boards full of motivational quotes/images in my office. I’ve taken a few attempts at writing my own poerty but failed miserably- I just enjoy reading it! I love the power of words and the way a verse can capture my emotions and life experiences perfectly. Poetry and inspirational quotes also help me to keep an eternal perspective and remember my many blessings. Life is often hard and when I face challenges it is nice to hear encouraging words. As the name suggests I find motivational quotes motivating!
To prepare for my lesson, I gathered a number of my favorite quotes and created a little quiz. I’m not sure if I will have time to use it, but I figured I’d post it on the blog to see if anyone out there in cyberworld could guess who said what! I will post the answers in a comment tomorrow (I don’t want to give the answer away for my students!). Enjoy these modern-day Proverbs!
Guess the Quote
Thomas Edison Walt Disney Eleanor Roosevelt
Ralph Waldo Emerson Michelangelo Dr. Seuss
Mother Theresa Winston Churchill Albert Einstein
Gordon B. Hinckley Mahatma Gandhi CS Lewis
1. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured
2. Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
3. The ancestor of every action is a thought
4. If you knew how much work went into it, you wouldn’t call it genius
5. I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much
6. All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
7. You’re off to great places. Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!
8. Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts
9. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
10. Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe
11. Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
12. Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one!
I particularly like this last one about friendship!