A few weeks ago my friend Camille did a blog posting entitled Ten Things You Might Not Know About Me. I have thought about this entertaining post for a while and wondered what my ten items would be. To be honest, I can hardly think of anything that would surprise my friends. I guess I am a pretty out-in-the-open person. Most of my friends know what I like to do, my weird quirks, and my other interests and likes. I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing? Maybe I am the kind of person that is reliably simple. I have never been a big dreamer. A friend of mine has this bucket list of things she wants to do in life such as visit every state and read the “1000 Must Read Before You Die” books.
I never did. The only thing I have passionately wanted to do since I was a little girl was graduate from BYU- and I did that nearly 8 years ago. Yes, I’ve wanted to to get married, have a family and contribute to society for most of my life; however, I was never specific about what type of family, home or career I want. I knew that I wanted to be dynamic and interesting- make a difference in the world. For the most part I think I have done that but even today I do not have specific things that I dream about doing or secret surprises about my life. I don’t know why, I just don’t? Does that make sense?
The fact that I can’t come up with a bucket list or even a list of surprising things makes me wonder if I am the dynamic, interesting person I wanted to be. On the other hand, if the world knows your interesting then does that make you any less interesting?I don’t think so. I like my life. For the most part, I am happy and content.
In the end, I can only live my life in the best way I know how. Whether it surprises others is out of my control.
So, here are a few things that are interesting about me. If a few surprise you all the better.
1. I enjoy jazz music. I just recently downloaded a singer called Jimmy Scott, and he is amazing. My new favorite. Here is one of his songs. What a voice! He had a genetic abnormality that made his voice never mature. I think it is beautiful.
01 Anchored By My Side
05 An Evening In Paradise
2. I hate tomato juice. V8. Yuck!
3. I am a cheese snob.I hate Velveeta, cheese singles wrapped in plastic, nacho cheese…you get the idea.
4. My favorite flowers are lilies and orchids. (flowers welcome anytime!) I love pink and purple.
5. I am foodie and have recently become a huge fan of Julia Child. (More to come on that later).
6. I’ve had 3 surgeries in my life.
7. I went to the principal’s office twice growing up, both times were in middle school. Both times over silly things.
8. I occasionally like to watch a cheesy romantic movie on lifetime or hallmark channel- especially with a good friend like Camille.
9. There are more times than I would care to admit that I have almost purchased stuff from an infomercial. Somehow I always stop myself.
10. I am the one person in my family that is not a good photographer. I can’t seem to keep the camera steady enough.
11. I think most handicrafts are really dull- sewing, knitting, quilting, even scrapbooking…not for me.
12. I enjoy wrapping presents. I used to hate it but now it is one of my favorite parts of buying a present.
13. I wish I had a pen pal that I could write juicy, rich, letters to. Sadly I must be happy with my blog.
14. I love kitchen appliances and already have a food processor, kitchenaid mixer, stick mixer, toaster, rice cooker, electric fondue pot, electric tea pot, and crockpot.
15. I dream of having a nice kitchen with beautiful french pots and knives that really do slice a tomato a centimeter thin with ease.
16. I want to go to England some day and take the Jane Austen book tour, see all the sights from the movies and her life (and Elizabeth Gaskell while I am at it). Then I want to take the chunnel and go to Paris for another week visiting the art, cafes, bridges and markets.
17. I hold onto grudges way longer than I should. For instance, when I think back to my high school choir teacher I still feel a little upset. Silly I know, but she was evil.
18. I wish I could have nice furniture, clothes, purses and shoes. In reality, I probably couldn’t justify the expenses even if I had the money but a girl can fantasize.
19. If I had money I would install a year round infinity pool in my house.
20. I have a Dwight bobblehead that smiles at me while I work. My friends gave it to me with love and excitement. In an odd way it reminds me that I am loved and to laugh at life.
Please make some comments. Let me know how surprising your life is…